I got my hands on it to qualify its candidacy as a replacement for the Lenovo Yoga.
Here are some takeaways you might not surmise from photos & specs.
- Backlit keys (with luminance control)
- Definitely feels super light & well balanced (and can be opened one-handed)
- Pretty good thermal management (vents most of the heat to the left side instead of your lap)
- Nice sized keys + touchpad
- Pretty sturdy (I was expecting it to bend in half based on other write-ups) for as thin and light as it is
- Seemingly excellent battery
- Bright, crisp, and clear screen
- Good sound
- Slope of the machine makes it more comfortable to use
- Full hdmi out, SD card sticks in all the way (so you can leave one in for extra storage)
- Optional sheet battery upgrade
- Touchscreen only achieves about 10% usefulness compared to a convertible like the Yoga (due to gorilla arm syndrome). With such a huge and nice screen, it's a complete shame!
- Corners are sharp! I could probably cut myself with the thing.
- Fans are quite loud - and overall there seems to be much more heat/noise than on the Yoga (which has more than most other ultrabooks, in my experience)
- No room for expansion - only one half msata slot for the wifi card and one pcie ssd slot. soldered ram
- Can only upgrade the SSD, and barely
- Power is on the opposite side as the rest of the ports (annoying if you want to plug something else in and use it on a couch/bed etc) - also, the power connector is the boring old barrel form factor
Here's how to open it up:
3. Peel/pop off the remaining two rubber feet
4. Remove the 12 newly exposed screws
5. Carefully pry open the case, starting in the middle and working towards the power port side first
Here's what the inside looks like:
Not much you can do to upgrade, unfortunately.
The machine uses an uber-fast PCIe SSD, which I can't seem to find by itself online.
Your best bet for upgrading is really just throwing in a 128gB SD card.
Here are the rest of the benchmarks I took:
All in all, the pros of this machine do not make up for its lack of convertibility & lack of expandability. I'm gonna hold out for something better and stick to my Yoga + stand + support brace. What about you?